Contents page

Index (83KB)


woofer: [University of Waterloo] n. Some varieties of wide paper
   for printers have a perforation 8.5 inches from the left margin
   that allows the excess on the right-hand side to be torn off when
   the print format is 80 columns or less wide.  The right-hand excess
   may be called `woofer'.  This term (like tweeter) has been
   in use at Waterloo since 1972, but is elsewhere unknown.  In audio
   jargon, the word refers to the bass speaker(s) on a hi-fi.