Magazines and Journals
X Y Z
- American Philosophical Quarterly
- Paper only. "... one of the principal English vehicles for the publication of scholary work in philosophy. The scope of the journal encompasses the entire range of philosophical enquiry."
- "... established in 1933 to provide a forum for the rapid publication of shorter papers in analytical philosophy..."
- ".. an experimental new supplement to the journal ANALYSIS, to be published by e-mail at about monthly intervals."
- "... a new triannual journal edited by reaserchers in philosophical, literary and social theory. The journal seeks to publish challenging work from contributors in different centres in the UK and overseas, and to foster a spirit of vigorous debate within and between disciplines."
- Australasian Journal of Philosophy
- Paper only.
- Brown Electronic Article Review Service on Moral and Political Philosophy. Electronically publishes short reviews of recent articles.
- Behavioral and Brain Sciences
- "Publishes importantand controversial interdisciplinary 'target articles' in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral biology, cognitive science, artificial intelligence, linguistics and philosophy."
- British Journal for the Philosophy of Science
- Paper only. "Has published the best international work in the philosophy of science for over forty years."
- Buisness Ethics Quarterly
- Paper only. "... publishes scholary articles from a wide variety of disciplines that focus on the general subject of the application of ethics to the international buisness community."
- Bryn Mayw Classical and Medieval reviews.
- Publishes timely reviews of current work in all areas of classical/medieval studies.
- The official publication of the International Interest Group in Pure and Applied Logic.
- "An electronic newsletter and WWW service for people interested in the fields of language, speech, logic, and/or information."
- Complexity International
- "... a refereed journal for scientific papers dealing with any area of complex systems research."
- Critical Inquiry
- Paper only. "... an interdisciplinary journal devoted to publishing the best critical thought in the arts and humanities. Combining a commitment to outstanding scholarship with a vital concern for dialogue and debate, the journals brings its readers current criticism on a variety of topics within literature, ... philosophy, and music."
- "... an international, electronic review of books on theory, technology and culture."
- De Proverbio
- "... to propose paremiology as a field of study to more researchers than traditional journals have thus far been able to do."
- Eidos Journal, The
- Paper only. "Eidos has been published by students at the University of Waterloo since July, 1978. From its inception it has been devoted to providing a forum for academic discussion on philosophical themes to graduate students and recent Ph.D.'s in Canada and abroad."
- Electronic Antiquity: Communicating The Classics
- Provocative articles, and summarising types of articles on classical studies.
- Electronic Journal of Analytic Philosophy
- "Established in August of 1993 it is the first electronic journal in philosophy. ... EJAP's mission is to strengthen analytical philosophy by examining it at its most vulnerable points, drawing attention to areas of philosophical research previously neglected by analytic philosophy."
- Environmental Ethics Journal
- "An interdisciplinary journal dedicated to the philosophical aspects of environmental problems."
- "Ethics is an international journal of moral, political, and legal philosophy published quarterly ... by the University of Chicago Press."
- Green Earth Observer
- Paper only. "An interdisciplinary journal dedicated to the philosophical aspects of environmental problems". The leading forum for serious philosophical work in environmental philosophy.
- Halcyon - A Journal of the Humanities
- Paper only. "The Journal emphasizes scholarship in the traditions of the core disciplines in the humanities - history, philosophy, and literature..."
- History and Theory
- Paper only. "... publishes articles, review essays, and summaries od books princippaly in these areas: criticla philosophy of history, speculative philosophy of history, ..."
- History of Philosophy Quarterly
- Paper only. "A leader in the publication of articles concerning the history of philosophy, HPQ specializes in papers that cultivate philosophical history with a strong interaction between contemporary and historical concerns."
- History and Philosophy of Science and Technology
- Sorry, can't find the URL, can you?
- Hot AIR
- "The excitingly graphical and trendoid home page of The Annals of Improbable Research
- Hypatia: Journal of feminist philosophy
- Paper only. "Hypatia is the only journal for scholary research at the intersection of philosophy and women's studies and is a leader in reclaiming the work of women philosophers."
- International Philosophical Preprint Exchange. Haven't managed to reach it for a while.
- International Journal of Philosophical Studies
- Paper only. "The broad range of the IJPS makes it essential reading for professionals in all fields of philosophy, for graduate students and for all those who take an interest in philosophical questions and their historical development."
- International Society for Environmental Ethics Newsletter
- "... seeks to advance research and education in the fields of environmental ethics and philosophy, broadly conceived, including the philosophy of nature, and to promote appropriate human use, respect, conservation, preservation, and understanding of the natural world."
- Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism
- Paper only. "... the official journal of the American Society for Aesthetics and is free to members. It publishes papers in aesthetics, art theory, and criticism."
- Journal for the Philosophy of Science and Mathematics, The
- Informal electronic journal that posts papers, short comments, and works in progress.
- "The Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research is a refereed journal for scientific papers covering all areas of artificial intelligence..."
- Journal of Buddhist Ethics
- "... has been established to promote the study of Buddhist ethics through the publications of research articles, discussions and critical notes, bulletins, and reviews."
- Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence
- Paper only. "The aim of JETAI is to advance scientific research inAI by providing a public forum for the presentation, evaluation, and critcism of research results, the discussion of methodological issues, and the communication of positions, preliminary findings, and research directions."
- Journal of Nietzsche Studies
- Paper only. "... founded in Spring 1991 and has already made its mark as a forum for innovative scholary work by both new and established scholars"
- Journal of Philosophical Research
- Paper only. "This scholary journal publishes outstanding papers in any branch of philosophy and from any philosophical orientation."
- Journal of Religious Ethics
- "Founded in 1973 to assist in shaping and locating the advanced edge of scholary work in religious ethics."
- Journal of Symbolic Logic, The
- Paper only. "This journal, distributed for the Association for Symbolic Logic, is the leading academic periodical in symbolic logic..."
- Journal of the History of Philosophy
- No information found.
- Journal of the History of Ideas
- Paper only. "... examines the evolution of ideas in the development and interrelations of several fields of historical study including the history of philosophy..."
- Kennedy Journal of Ethics
- No successful connection yet.
- "Kinesis was founded with the goal of providing an open-forum for graduate students of philosophy to publish their respective works, and receive scholary criticism."
- The Polish Electronic Magazine for Logic and Philosophy
- Metaphysical Review
- "... an electronic journal compromising of essays, comments, letters and book reviews related to conceptually difficult problems in physics and science in general."
- Paper only. "Mind is the best known British journal of philosophy, and is one of the most widely read and respected professional publications in the field. For over a century Mind has presented the leading philosophical issues of its time and has offered its readers articles by many of the world's most distinguished philosophers."
- Monist Interactive Issue
- Papers on selected subjects are called for, and then discussed.
- Online Journal of Ethics
- "An on line journal of cutting edge research in the field of buisness & professional ethics."
- Perspective on Science
- "... devoted to studies on the sciences that integrate historical, philosophical, and sociological perspectives."
- Philosophy and Public Affairs
- Paper only. "... founded in the belief that a philosophicl examination of public issues can contribute to their clarification."
- Philosophy of the Social Sciences
- "... an international quarterly which publishes articles, translations, and review symposia of interest both to philosophers concerned with the social sciences and to social scientists concerned with the philosophical foundations of their subject."
- Philosophy, Psychiatry, and Psychologi
- Paper only. "... publishes philosophical articles pertaining to psychiatry and psychology, as well as psychiatric and psychological articles relevant to philosophy."
- Post Modern Culture
- An electronic journal of interdisciplinary criticism.
- Poznan Studies in Philosophy Sciences and Humanities
- No information found. Seems to deal with most aspects of philosophy.
- Project Muse
- "... a collaborative project of Johns Hopkins University Press, The Milton S. Eisenhower Library, and Homewood Academic Computing. Over the next three years, these three partners will work together to pull all of The Johns Hopkins University press journals on line in a full-text database, available by electronic subscription."
- "... a refereed electronical journal dedicated to supporting the interdisciplinary exploration of the nature of consciousness and its relation to the brain."
- "... publishes articles and peer commetary in all areas of psychology as well as cognitive science, neuroscience, behavioral biology, artificial intelligence, robotics/vision, linguistics and philosophy."
- Public Affairs Quarterly
- Paper only. "... provides an impartial forum for the philosophical study of policy issues."
- Qui Parle
- Paper only. An interdisciplinary journal of literature, philosophy, visual arts and history.
- Radical Philosophy
- Radical Philosophy is a journal od socialist and feminist philosophy. It was founded in 1972 in response to the widely felt discontent with the sterility of academic philosophy at the time..."
- Paper only. "... examine the theory and practice of rethoric in all periods and languages and their relationship with poetics, philosophy, religion and law."
- Russell: the Journal of the Bertrand Russell Archives
- Paper only. "The journal has been in continious existence since 1971. There are two issues a year, published in the summer and winter."
- Reviews of classical works.
- "... a refereed all-English electronic international quarterly of analytical philosophy."
- Stanford Humanities Review, The
- "The SHR is dedicated to providing a wide-open forum for diverse voices from all over the intellectual landscape of our world."
- Paper only. "... promotes new thoughts by leading American and European authors which alter the perception of contemporary culture ... and represents disciplines as diverse as literay theory, philosophy, psychoanalasys..."
- Tabula Rasa
- Journal of Critical Thought. Mainly in German. "Our two main concerns are: a) to offer an informal forum where first steps into science can be brought to a wider public with the hope to raise comments and criticism, b) to publish scientific papers at a stage, where the patterns of argument and the main statements are not yet fully established."
- Teaching Philosophy
- Paper only. "... provides an open forum for the exchange and evaluation of ideas, information, and materials concerning the teaching of philosophy."
- Thesis Eleven
- Paper only. "... seeks to further critical inquiry and debate about modernity through analyses of its alternative paths and strategies, and the nature of political, aesthetic, and everyday life."
- "... a free e-journal for analysis of the currents beneath current events. Undercurrent is published three times a year, and seeks to provide interdisciplinary analysis of the present in an accessible format
- Whole Earth Review
- Paper only. "Makes most environmental-ish magazines seem like glossy 4-H club bulletins."
Last modified August 30, 1995